Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

Ocarina of Time




Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing an old project I hope to revive...the ocarina of time....well, really the ocarina of clay. Last year for my son's 6th birthday we had a Zelda themed party and I made clay ocarinas for party favors.

Ocarina making is fun but technically challenging if you want it tuned properly. We made some with 7 holes, 4 holes, 1 hole, and even no holes except for the fipple which is simply a whistle. I made a hedgehog shaped whistle for my daughter who I was pregnant with at the time. I gave it to her today but she is still a bit young to figure it out.

I'd like to make some more animal shapes and glaze them with fun colors.


Here are some examples I've found on other sites.  whale- old school vibes etsy, elephant- handmadeheart.com, star symbol- lot pottery etsy. Stay tuned for ocarina updates, I'll post some process photos when I get started!