Pages

Monday, April 10, 2017

I've been working on new stuff for some upcoming shows. This April I will be in a group exhibition at the Coop Gallery in my home town of San Angelo, Texas. It is April 21-22nd in conjunction with the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts Ceramic Invitational opening. I've got a lovely platter, a yard cat sculpture and some mugs planned to display.





This bird fruit platter was made by rolling a slab of clay and then applying underglaze and stamping for texture. After it dried on a hump mold, it was bisque fired. Then I applied more underglaze and hand-painted the bird image over the top. Clear glaze was added and then it was glaze fired to 05.
I enjoyed creating this piece because it allowed me to play with screen printing (polka dots and some stars on the bottom of the platter) and to explore asymmetry. I found it refreshing and satisfying to create a functional piece with rough, torn edges, and hope to continue in this vein with my hand-built work!



In May, I'm getting ready to open my studio doors for the annual West Austin Studio Tour...stay tuned for details!