Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Glazed Owl Bud Vases


Here are the glazed owl bud vases. I'm still torn on which forms I like best. I have some cheeky cats and a friendly bear ready to fire, all thrown on the wheel, so we'll see how the glazing might evolve.

In the photo above, the 2 larger vases with polka dots and green and blue stripes are handbuilt while the other three were wheel thrown. I used white earthenware low fire clay and amaco underglazes fired to cone 06 I believe. The surface decoration features stamping, impressing, and scoring with a needle tool. I used black velvet underglaze to accentuate the scored outlines. I think I like the black lines better than the turquoise lines on the right.
Overall I'm pleased with the results - this is my first attempt- but still trying to find the perfect techniques to achieve the look I'm going for. I have them for sale in my etsy shop Tiny Happiness.

I've also got some cloud magnets on the way. :)